วันพุธที่ 23 มกราคม พ.ศ. 2562

My Holiday in Bavaria

 Day 1My recent holiday to Germany in the Bavarian region began in the early hours of Saturday, 24th July.  My two teenage sons and I travelled by car to Gatwick South Terminal at the delightful time of 3.20am for our flight to Munich departing at 6:50 am.To our horror, when we arrived at the checking in area (slightly late I must add) the queue’s for the Easy Jet flights were astonishingly long as only 2 desks were open and every Easy Jet customer was in the queue whatever flight they were on!  At the sight of this I thought we would definately miss our flight but, luckily they called all passengers for Munich ahead of everyone else. 




However, I’m not so sure for the family in front of us as they suddenly realised they should have been at the North Terminal for their Easy Jet flight!Once we were painlessly through security we headed to our gate as it was time to board. So it wasn’t too bad after that first initial shock of seeing that huge queue and I also managed to get a seat near my two sons on the plane, which was a bonus.On arrival at Munich airport at 9.30am we were told it was raining heavily.  We made our way to the car rental area where we collected our pre-paid car and as I had directions of which route to take it was fairly straight forward.  However, as I was not used to driving a left hand drive on a different side of the road especially in torrential rain I was feelling rather nervous.  I couldn’t believe we had such bad luck with this continuous downpour of rain the whole hour and a half of travelling to our destination.When we arrived at Mitterfels it took around 20 mins to find our ‘Mondi’ apartment complex.  As expected our self-catering apartment was spacious enough for 3, clean and adequate for our needs.  After unpacking we bought milk and juice from the local Edeker Supermarket and although it was close enough to walk we decide to drive as it was still raining heavily and I hadn’t packed my brolly! Later that evening we enjoyed a delicious meal at the resort Restaurant, Zirbelstub’ n. The Restaurant offered Breakfast, Lunch and Evening Meal, though we chose to eat breakfast at our apartment.  We were advised that the ‘welcome meeting’ would be the following morning (Sunday 25th July) at 11.45am.A lovely place to relaxOne thing to take note of in Germany is not to expect to find shops and supermarkets open on Sundays. Restaurants, Bars etc. yes, but not shops.  I also found it unusual that the games room for the complex was closed by 8pm, so my 2 teenagers were disappointed that they couldn’t play table tennis after our evening meals past 8pm.  Nor could we find anywhere to eat as late as 9:30pm in Mitterfels as we found out one evening from being back late from a day out! We were told the next village ‘Bogan’ was 15 mins away and the Pizzeria Restaurant ‘La Molisana’ is open till 10pm!  Well as we weren’t that hungry we didn’t make a dash for it!Day 2After our ‘Welcome Meeting’ I discussed with my boy’s what we should do for the week, then we took a leisurely stroll to the local Mitterfels Historic Museum, where we were enchanted by the history of the Middle Ages.  After that we ate a typical Bavarian lunch at a local restaurant, and very nice it was too! There were at least 3 Restaurants and 1 cafe in this delightfully quiet little street in Mitterfels.  Everywhere was so clean and quiet and there weren’t as many cars on the roads as in the UK, or so it seemed.Mitterfels Village ChurchSeves Traditional Bavarian Food & BeveragesThe evening brought us back to the Restaurant Zirbelstub ‘n at our complex where we tantalised our tastebuds with the delightful Bavarian cuisine. Unfortunately, there was no evening entertainment so a walk before turning in was the next best thing.  We looked forward to the following day as we were going on a guided tour through the old historic town of Regensburg…..to be continued.Continued on 25th November, 2010.To our disappointment it was forecast for showers for the day. Our trip to Regensburg began at 10.00am and as the tour bus was already full I followed behind in our new and very comfortable hired BMW car with my two boy’s. We parked up next to the tour bus and enjoyed the tour around the town with the tour guide. Lunch was arranged for us at the Historical Restaurant Wurstkuchl of Regensburg (the oldest sausage tavern of the world!!). We all enjoyed a lunch of sauerkraut and home made famous sausages, which I thought were extremely tasty! 'Very tasty'The Famous Small Sausage Tavern - 'Wurstkutchl'This historical sausage tavern of over 500 years old is situated alongside the River Danube. It is noted that, fortunately little has changed since the days where in the Middle Ages Regensburger stonemasons and dockers treated themselves to refreshment at this tavern: with its charcoal grill, homemade sausages purely from ham of pork, sauerkraut fermented in their own celler and of course the Wurstkutchl mustard following the original historical recipe of Elsa Schricker. After the meal everyone (except me that is), including my two boys, made their way down to the quayside for the river cruise to the famous Walhalla. I had to follow in my BMW behind the Tour Guide van as we had to drive back from Walhalla and sure enough….I got left behind at the traffic lights. So, there I was, not knowing the way to Walhalla, in a country where I didn’t speak the language, driving on the other side of the road, worrying about my kids who were with strangers on a boat somewhere! Thankfully, the Tour Guide noticed that I wasn’t behind her so she waited a bit further on until I caught up. Needless to say….I was a little stressed for a while.The weather wasn’t quite right for a cruise (or anything else for that matter) as it was pouring with rain. Once everyone was off the boat and into the Tour Bus and my kids were in our car we travelled to Walhalla, which was only a short distance away. The view from the Temple was amazing! The Walhalla temple is a hall of fame that honors laudable and distinguished Germans, famous personalities in German history — politicians, sovereigns, scientists and artists of the German “tongue”. The hall is housed in a neo-classical building above the Danube River, east of Regensburg, in Bavaria, Germany.The Walhalla temple is named for Valhalla of Norse mythology. It was conceived in 1807 by Crown Prince Ludwig, who built it upon ascending the throne of Bavaria as King Ludwig I. Construction took place between 1830 and 1842, under the supervision of architect Leo von Klenze.The temple displays some 65 plaques and 130 busts of persons, covering 2,000 years of history — the earliest person honored is Arminius, victor at the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest (9 AD).


















ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น